Most people use electricity for their household cooking, heating and other needs because they are misled to believe that gas is dangerous. Besides saving you money, switching over some of your household appliances to gas could be one of the safest things you’ve ever done; provided your products are properly installed, stored and maintained.
A few tips for household gas safety
- Always keep your appliances (stove, heater, lantern, etc) and gas cylinder(s) on a flat, level surface to avoid accidental tipping over.
- Use good quality gas lines (pipes and hoses) and inspect them for leakage at least once a week.
- Store your cylinder(s) at least 1 meter away from doors to avoid fires and explosions in the event of faulty equipment and human errors.
- Do not use gas in a room that is not well ventilated. This can cause serious long term illnesses and other health issues.
- Inspect and maintain connections (fittings, regulators, etc) on a regular basis. It is best to get professionals to do this to avoid overlooking any defects.
- Never operate gas equipment if you suspect that it is faulty.
Gas is a clean, convenient and portable source of energy. Many gas-related household fatalities have occurred because of a lack of understanding and human error. Don’t let this scare you away from gas. If you need any help, advice or maintenance work done just give us a shout, we’re glad to assist.